Last Updated: June 21, 2013 | Purpose of this page is to bring various reports together concerning the death of Afghan Hazara, Ali Ahmed Jafari (23 or 26), at the Villawood Immigration Detention Centre (Sydney West) set by the Australian Government.
According to reports, Ali Jafari, complained of chest pain with his roommate, who then alerted the detention center authorities. It is understood that the authorities took between 1 to 1.5 hours before calling medical help. By the time medical help arrived, Mr. Jafari had passed away.
Various refugee coalition groups are demanding an inquiry into the cause of Mr. Jafari’s death. The cause of the delay may not just be a slow response by authorities (human error) but rather a slow response that is woven into the anti-refugee policies of the Australian Government to make the life of refugees “miserable” enough in order to prevent others from reaching Australian shores.
According to Hazara Organization for Peace and Equality (HOPE), at least 300 Hazaras (including women and children) have lost their lives in the seas between Indonesia and Australia.
- Petition – Brendan O’Connor MP Minister for Immigration and Citizenship : Full inquiry into death of Ali detained in Villawood Detention Centre (please sign the petition)
- @Facebook – Candlelight Vigil marks latest death of asylum seeker in detention – June 21
- Guardian, UK – ‘I was shocked’: Hazara community members speak about Ali Ahmad Jafari’s death in detention – video
- ABC News, AU – Questions over asylum seeker’s death at Villawood detention centre – June 21
- ABC News, AU – Man dies in immigration detention at Villawood – June 21
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- ISIS claims gruesome murder of 10 Hazara coalminers in Pakistan - January 5, 2021
- Farewell Hussain Babai - December 20, 2020
- Hazaras categorically reject US-engineered ‘Taliban talks’ in Qatar - September 12, 2020